This post is long overdue, but I'm happy to finally be able to share with you these highlights from the Smarter Artist Summit! Make sure to check out the links and pictures underneath the video :)
- Why I almost didn't make it to the summit
- The writers I met and hung out with
- Top tips from the speakers
- Some of the goodies I brought back :)
- Why you should totally go next year if you can! More info here: https://smarterartistsummit.com/product/smarter-artist-summit-2018/
- Johnny, Sean, and Dave (https://sterlingandstone.net/)
- Chris Fox (http://www.chrisfoxwrites.com/)
- Kalvin Chinyere (https://www.amazon.com/Carl-Waters/e/B00L05RJ76)
- Jenna Soard (http://www.youcanbrand.com/)
- Clark Chamberlain (https://www.clark-chamberlain.com/)
- Christine Niles (https://sterlingandstone.net/book/time-to-write/)
- David Gaughran (https://davidgaughran.wordpress.com/)
- "You're not locked into your circumstances."
- Mindset is the most critical part of success."
- It's "absolutely critical to segment your list."
- "A sale is not just a sale."
- "I can be a six-figure author by SAS 2018."
- "I already decided I'm going to get up and write."
- "Becoming rich is not about making money. It's about saving money, investing early, and without retreat."
- "Branding is the promise you're giving to your audience."
- "Guessing is expensive."
- "Fail fast. Fail and pivot. You learn more from your mistakes anyway."
- Great branding exercise: "When I walk into the room, what shows up?"
- "You have to be a story engineer... You have to know what it is you're doing and what it is you want them to feel at the end of it... create an evangelist."
- "Story...is your native language."
- "You can have such an emotional connection [with your reader] that they can't say no to your next book."
- "Productivity is not cramming fifty pounds of shit into a five-pound bag."
- "We all have the same 24 hours in a day."
- "It's about doing the right things at the right time."
- "We're pantsers with our lives sometimes."
- "Do take your writing seriously. Do take your business seriously."
- "I'm selling this time to my business... I"m on the clock."
- "No one is born successful."
- "It's okay to be scared because fear is a big flashing neon sign that you're about to do something cool."
- "Don't stop writing. That's one thing that's not negotiable."
- "Also-boughts are crucial."
- "Make sure you're always targeting the right readers."
- "What's Bookbub? It's a site that makes money rain on your face."
- "The book you conceived is not necessarily the book that you wrote."
- "Use what's working when it's working and then pivot."
- "Only consume what you need to get to the next step."
- "We design what we want people to feel."
- "Find your weaknesses and turn them into strengths slowly over time."
- "You can mark something unread in Slack?... This conference is awesome."
- "You are worth remembering."
- "No, there are no drugs involved. I actually don't drink either... Or drink coffee. This is all Ben."
- "I'm not doing this again." :D
- "Dave...you can't be forgotten."